Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Doctors for Society or versus them??

I feel very sad about this bilateral pull between medical fraternity & consumer right advocates. I want to start with my small story. I clarify beforehand that me & my story is just the tip of the iceberg, in terms of medical scenario in Nepal.

I am a married, female, doctor, who lives with her in-laws, with my two kids. Please read about my obligations in between the lines. And I went to China at 6th month of 2nd pregnancy all alone, to a city where I didn't know anyone before, only to learn something called Fat graft. It was something new & something I really really wanted to learn. I chose to go there in such a vulnerable stage of pregnancy because I knew, if I didn't take that opportunity, I probably wouldn't get a second chance.

This is the state of learning or training opportunities in Nepal. I cannot imagine  hardships faced by thousands others, who live in foreign countries for years before completing eight grueling years of medical education until MD degree. And despite that, these same thousands of doctors are working day & night, with monthly income similar to or even less than that of clothing stores, wholesale vendors or slaughter houses, leave aside fashion boutiques, parlors, restaurants, etc. In the United Kingdom, junior doctors, took to the streets, to increase remunerations in the past. In Nepal, if we did the same by talking about wages, it would trigger another moral debate and catch meaty headlines in our newspapers.

Before reinforcing "blind-folded" legal system, create opportunities, scholarships, trainings, promote research, grants. Make doctors resourceful, trained and experts. Create environment for growth & positivity instead of making doctors hunker down for justice. We are breeding a society of distrust, of malice, threat & fury. If patients are consumers, then doctors must be goods that can be bought, things, or materials. I don't understand how to bridge this huge loop hole between doctors & patients.

No comments:

Post a Comment